cc-licenses - Re: Founders' founders

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Founders' founders
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 18:24:51 -0400 (EDT)

Evan Prodromou said:
> GL> The 'Founders Copyright' does not make any sense to me at all.
> I think the point is a commentary on the overextension of copyright in
> e.g. the Sonny Bono* Copyright Extension Act.

It occurred to me as some form of protest against the
current state of copyright law, however there is protest
and then there is protest that sparks revolutions.

GNU-GPL occurs as protest that sparks revolution.
And I think it succeeds because it offers something
that never existed before, the idea of a Gift Economy
for software, that would result in an operating
system and complete suite of applications that are
completely free for the world. That has a kind of
incentive that makes contributers' mouths water.

Founders Copyright, while some form of protest, is really
nothing more than a Market Economy license. And anyone
who traffics in a Market Economy must compete.
CC-NC-ND-BY is a license that traffics in a Market Economy
and competes with "All Rights Reserved" works because the
idea of FreeAdvertising is an incentive to give up some rights.

There is no Market Incentive that I can see to adopt
Founders Copyright. It puts you at a competitive
disadvantage, rather than providing you something
in exchange for surrendering some rights.

No one's mouth is watering for Founders Copyright.
therefore I think it will remain a protest license
that won't actually change much.