cc-licenses - Re: Founders' founders

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Founders' founders
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 11:26:01 -0400 (EDT)

The 'Founders Copyright' does not make any sense to me at all.

I can get how some of the other CC licenses make sense in
Market Economies by providing FreeAdvertising for Authors
who are willing to give up some rights to their works in
exchange for the possibility of being noticed by a big
record company or publisher. NC ND BY are essentially
FreeAdvertising licenses.

I also get how ShareAlike and PublicDomain both work
to create GiftEconomies for Authors who wish to
contribute their work to the world. PublicDomain
puts those works into what is truly a Commons.
ShareAlike allows contributions to exist in a
Gift Economy that can survive alongside Market competition.

But Founders Copyright doesn't make any sense to me.
Those operating in a MarketEconomy are given no
incentive to use FoundersCopyright. There is no
free advertising, no advantage but to say
"look, we're going to give this away in 30 years"
which, by my reckoning, isn't interesting enough
to most consumers to encourage sales.

And since all other rights are held by the Author
when they use Founders Copyright, the work cannot
enter any sort of Gift Economy.

So, I cannot see any incentive for Authors to use
Founders Copyright, either for Market or Gift
Economies.Which might explain why no one has used
it.