cc-licenses - Re: Allowing Commercial Use While Preserving NonCommercial Rights

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Allowing Commercial Use While Preserving NonCommercial Rights
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 22:33:19 -0400

NW> Greetings All, I recently placed all of my writing (plug:
NW> www.fallinggrace.com) under a CC license, specifically
NW> NonCommercial-Attribution.

NW> What I would like to do is basically offer two licenses: the
NW> NonCommercial-Attribution license and a license that allows
NW> Commercial use and derivatives.

NW> The key that I want is for the NonCommercial rights to flow
NW> with Commercial uses. An example is if some recording company
NW> pays a band to cover a song I wrote, I have no problem with
NW> them selling that without additional permission from or
NW> compensation to me (beyond attribution), so long as people who
NW> buy that recording have the right to do whatever they want
NW> with it for NonCommercial purposes (even giving it away to a
NW> few hundred thousand of their closest friends).

NW> Is there a way to handle this with existing CC Licenses?

I'm not a lawyer, this is not legal advice, I don't speak for Creative
Commons.

Maybe what you want, though, is the Attribution-ShareAlike
license. This means that anyone can use your work for any reason,
commercial or non-commercial. But if they create a derivative work
(like recording a song), they have to release that for anyone to use,
for commercial or non-commercial reasons.

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
Wikitravel - http://wikitravel.org/