cc-licenses - Re: "Everyone can legally download when they see 'CC Share Music'"

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <robmyers AT mac.com>
  • To: "cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: "Everyone can legally download when they see 'CC Share Music'"
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 10:28:10 +0000

On Tuesday, March 23, 2004, at 04:01AM, <email AT greglondon.com> wrote:

>I still don't understand how any claim made by
>Sauramon in his falsely labeled license will
>protect Sarah and her mom from the Evil Menudo Gestapo.

IANAL, but there's several issues.

The warranty thing, which SCO have majorly misrepresented, would mean that
Sarahmon is representing that the music won't blow up your speakers. It just
means that the product is safe to use and is usable for what you expect.
Disclaimers of warranty are very common, see EULAs, book inside covers, etc.
These mean you use the product at your own risk, which is important if
producers don't want to get sued out of existence.

The representation thing, which AFAICT is a no-brainer, is representing that
you have the right to contribute or use a work as open content. I don't know
why this is in some licenses but as those licenses have been drawn up by
teams of experienced and well-paid lawyers it must be important. Possibly
breach of license is easier than breach of copyright, I don't know. Possibly
it does allow you to point your finger and say "but they said!". I don't
know, and I don't think it compares to unknowingly receiving stolen goods.
See films that include other films, CDs that include samples and novels that
include songs or poems for examples of representing authority to use (not
contribute...) other people's work.

The indemnification thing, which will be increasingly important, means that
Sarahmon (or someone) sells Sarah insurance so that if it turns out Sarahmon
made a mistake with the source of the music, Sarah is insured against the
RIAA trying to bankrupt her. See
but do remember that open source is not trying to steal other people's stuff
as currently understood, whereas p2p generally is (as currently understood. I
think the radio comparison may be useful).

There really should be a book on open source/content law, or at least a big
wikipedia section.

- Rob.