cc-licenses - Re: Warranty, Representation, Indemnification

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <robmyers AT mac.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Warranty, Representation, Indemnification
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 19:30:48 +0000
On 23 Mar 2004, at 19:27, Evan Prodromou wrote:

Actually, I think the main point is scaring the bejeesus out of
artists and making them think twice before releasing works. "Do I
really have rights to release this? Yes I do."

I think it's better than putting off that responsibility on the
consumers who use the artistic works, or redistributors like you and
me.

I agree, but I think an OGL-style personal representation rather than a CC1.0-style general representation is more manageable. It creates a chain of responsibility rather than passing all the risk on to each deriver.

- Rob.