cc-licenses - Re: "Everyone can legally download when they see 'CC Share Music'"

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: email AT greglondon.com
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: "Everyone can legally download when they see 'CC Share Music'"
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 23:01:05 -0500 (EST)

Evan Prodromou said:
> That's not actually true. Sarah's mom is falsely
> confident.
>
> There's no warranty or representation of rights in the
> Attribution-NoDerivs-NonCommercial 2.0 or in the Music
> Sharing License. In fact, there's an explicit disclaimer
> of any such representation. So I have no idea whether
> the music is legal to download or not.

Say Sarah's evil twin, Sauramon, took some music that
he had no rights to, something sufficiently evil
like "Menudo", and put a CC-ShareMusic license on it.

Sarah downloads the music. The Menudo Gestapo happens
to be monitoring the site from where Sarah downloaded
it. The MG sues Sarah's mom.

I still don't understand how any claim made by
Sauramon in his falsely labeled license will
protect Sarah and her mom from the Evil Menudo Gestapo.

can someone explain?