cc-licenses - RE: Derivative works and noting changes

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Richard Cobbett" <charybdis AT deja-x.co.uk>
  • To: "'Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts'" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: Derivative works and noting changes
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 20:34:26 -0000

In the case of reports, presumably the reason they're reading is to either
integrate the results into their own cases or to build on your research, in
which case they're going to take the credit for the additional work. As for
strategies and business plans, it's unlikely that your experiences are going
to fit completely seamlessly into their requirements, making them more
useful for educational purposes when people are writing up their own
specific plans, rather than being used as a straight-up template. The result
of that is always going to be their strategy rather than yours, even if they
copy/pasted every last word of the original document.

In both cases, the fact that you could still have them for the public peanut
gallery on your main site gives you a way of showing people if and when your
work has been misrepresented, and exactly how. If it's an accident, that
should be sufficient to resolve any problems - and if it's as the result of
anyone being malicious, well, a CC sticker's not exactly going to scare
someone away in the first place. At least you could say quite simply "Look,
it's been out there since whenever. Look on iArchive or the Google Cache or
this FTP site, or these quotes on our forum - we have nothing to hide."

Ultimately, if you're worried about unofficial docs, the obvious thing is to
drop Attribution completely and focus on Derivs. That doesn't stop the other
party crediting you if they choose (and if they're using your research, or
using your company as a case study, they're going to have to just to provide
context) without forcing them to outright put your name on something that
you may not approve of.

Richard Cobbett | http://www.richardcobbett.co.uk