cc-licenses - NoDerivatives

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: NoDerivatives
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 05:13:32 -0500

I have a quick question about ND content.

Some Open Source software is not modifiable -- you're not allowed to
change the source, even if it's available to you. TeX is a good
example. But you _can_ distribute patch files along with the source,
and end users can use the patches to modify the source themselves.

I take it that this isn't possible with ND content. Even if the
document remains unmodified during redistribution, the patch would be
a derivative work. Or the patch + document would be a derivative work.

Is this correct? Incorrect?

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>