cc-licenses - Re: Derivative works and noting changes

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: email AT greglondon.com
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Derivative works and noting changes
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 10:46:15 -0500 (EST)

there is no "official" version of an Open Source work. The
idea is to give it away so others can expand upon,
improve, and modify the work as they see fit.

You can use 'branding' techniques to get people to
identify your version of the work as the version to use.

RedHat has branded themselves as "THE" place to get Linux,
even though Linux itself is Open Source and anyone can use
it.

If someone creates a derived version of your work, they
should keep your original copyright notice in place and
append their copyright notice to yours, so anyone getting
the derived version can see the notice and know its not
the original.

If you look at any open source files that have been around
for a while, you'll see a laundry list of copyright
notices as the files went through major revisions.

Copyright 2004 John Doe

Copyright 2001 Jane Smith

Copyright 1998 Alan Smithee

Copyright 1996 Original Author

This by itself should distinguish your version of the
document from any other version of the document. It's then
up to you to "brand" yourself as the best source to get
your document.

Greg London

Perl Training manual (licensed GNU-FDL)
http://www.greglondon.com/iperl/pdf/iperl.pdf

Drafting the Gift Domain (licensed GNU-FDL)
http://www.greglondon.com/dtgd/pdf/draftingthegiftdomain.pdf