cc-licenses - Re: Extra restrictions on derivative works

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <robmyers AT mac.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Extra restrictions on derivative works
  • Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 19:19:11 +0000
On 8 Feb 2004, at 18:22, Evan Prodromou wrote:

"In the event that your Derivative Work is based upon the Work and
one or more other works licensed under Creative Commons licenses
different from this one, you must include copy of, or the Uniform
Resource Identifier for, any Creative Commons license that contains
all License Elements contained in this License, plus those License
Elements contained in the license(s) governing the other work(s)"

Damn those commas! :-)

My initial reading was that all licenses must be included disjoint, but a closer reading does make it look like one license must be found for the union of the license terms.

This should be elegant and convenient, but is completely broken. It's as broken as it would be if Microsoft put a clause in their EULA which allows you to give copies of their software away for free to your friends.

I appreciate that having to include all licenses would leave us with a BSD-style copyright chain*, but frankly I would not use or recommend a license that allows people to steal the value of my work by changing the licensing of it against my wishes. And what happens when they want to sell it commercially if I contributed NC and they didn't? It's broken.

The removal of 5a and the addition of 4b are well-intentioned but disastrously mistaken. Convenience and exploitation are neither the benefactors nor the beneficiaries of Creative Commons, and Creative Commons should not seek to serve them. I really would recommend the OGL as an good example of how attribution and risk should be handled. Better a hundred squealing bloggers and graphic designer DJs than a single sued end-user or exploited item of content.

- Rob.

* http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/bsd.html