cc-licenses - Re: Extra restrictions on derivative works

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Extra restrictions on derivative works
  • Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2004 13:14:38 -0500

JBN> However, the Creative Commons licenses aren't for licensing
JBN> software. Different freedoms are important for different
JBN> kinds of works; I believe society is willing to trade away
JBN> some freedoms in exchange for something else (like trading
JBN> away commercial distribution for non-commercial verbatim
JBN> distribution with pop song recordings--witness the original
JBN> version of Napster).

So, the value of NC aside, I think the main issue is whether it should
be OK to tack extra license stipulations onto derivative works of
SA-licensed stuff.

The way the 2.0 licenses put it, you can combine two works under SA
licenses, accumulating all the license stipulations for both. So if
you've got one work that's by-sa, and another that's by-nc, the
resulting work is by-sa-nc.

The problem with this is that it goes against the wishes of the
original licensors. Probably the most troubling is that you can take
a Work available for everyone to use, and mix it with an *-sa-nc-*
work, and the result is not available for everyone to use.

The argument made so far is that it's more important to make
"remixing" works easy than it is to respect the wishes of the original
licensors. I, for one, find that kind of hard to swallow, and probably
self-defeating.

~ESP

P.S. Note that it's not possible to get ND thrown in. The only way to
"remix" licenses is to make a derivative work, and since ND prevents
derivatives, it can't get "mixed in".

--
Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
Wikitravel - http://www.wikitravel.org/