cc-licenses - Why remove the warranty in the 2.0 licenses?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: jbn AT forestfield.org (J.B. Nicholson-Owens)
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Why remove the warranty in the 2.0 licenses?
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 21:25:24 -0600

Evan Prodromou wrote:
> The question isn't about _adding in_ a warranty clause. It's about
> removing one that's already there. My question is: why remove it?

Simplicity. Simpler licenses are better particularly when dealing with
people who don't read licenses a lot (which would be most of the public,
certainly the copyright holders that CC is trying to sway to use CC
licenses). I think when people are faced with reading less in a situation
like this, they are more likely to read what's there.

Simplicity is one of the big advantages of Richard Stallman's "Verbatim
copying and distribution of this entire article is permitted in any medium,
provided this notice is preserved." license over the closest CC license
(which is Attribution-NoDerivs, I believe).