cc-licenses - Re: Warranty in next version of CC licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Warranty in next version of CC licenses
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 21:45:07 -0500

JBN> Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your point, but I don't think an
JBN> illegitimate warranty achieves that end, and someone who
JBN> hadn't cleared the rights for distributing the work or a
JBN> derivative of the work wouldn't be stopped by the appearance
JBN> of a warranty clause in the license covering the work they
JBN> were about to illicitly share or build upon. In the free
JBN> software world, the most popular free software licenses tell
JBN> you there is no warranty; the warranty clause says (roughly)
JBN> you get to keep both parts if it breaks.

That's pretty much what the warranty clause in the CC licenses say
right now, too. But they also say that the author has cleared the
rights for the work.

The question isn't about _adding in_ a warranty clause. It's about
removing one that's already there. My question is: why remove it?

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
Wikitravel - http://www.wikitravel.org/