cc-licenses - about the option to reference the license with a link to a URL

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: pinna <pinna AT autistici.org>
  • To: "cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: about the option to reference the license with a link to a URL
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 01:50:23 +0100

hi all

maybe this topic has been yet discussed (in case, sorry). however,
it could interest you.

[from the FSF & GNU website, about CC licenses]

(...) we strongly urge you to reject the option to reference the license with a link to a URL. You cannot take for granted that the same URL will still function ten years from now; fifty years from now, URLs as they exist today may be entirely obsolete. If the URL does not function, that would disconnect your work from its license; then it would effectively lose its copying permissions, since people won't be able to tell what is permitted. We therefore urge you to include a copy of the license with the work, for every work, all the time.

you can read the whole paragraph (and many translation also) at
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/licenses.html#OtherWorks

bye,
pinna
one of copydown.inventati.org