cc-europe - Re: [CC-Europe] Action wanted: DOs and DON'Ts for our talks with GESAC

  • From: Christian Villum <villum AT creativecommons.dk>
  • To: Melanie Dulong de Rosnay <melanie.ddr AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: "cc-europe AT lists.ibiblio.org" <cc-europe AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [CC-Europe] Action wanted: DOs and DON'Ts for our talks with GESAC
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 12:48:56 +0200

Hi John and Gwen,

Exciting stuff indeed.

Based on the Danish case, where the pilot has been running since 2007, I would emphasize the need for participating collecting societies to clearly make information available to their members. In the Danish case CC-info is buried deeply on their website; resulting in very few members diving in. So if possible, perhaps stipulating some kind of obligation for collecting societies to present information in a fashion that's easily findable? (for instance, 1 click from front page or something similar).

On the more practical side down the road: In Denmark we've had some success establishing credibility for CC use among the critical segment of the local collecting society staff and members by organizing meet-ups to discuss the pros and cons of CC-licensing in an open forum. It's my experience that this sort of face to face interaction diminish some of the die-hard opposition that is bound to occur if and when more pilots are rolled out. Here it moved many harsh critics from calling us names (almost) to actually saying that while it's not for them it's still good to allow collecting society members to have a choice.
Having people meet in person also creates a much more polite tone in general :)

-Christian

-v