cc-europe - [CC-Europe] Action wanted: DOs and DON'Ts for our talks with GESAC

  • From: John Weitzmann <johnweitzmann AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: "cc-europe AT lists.ibiblio.org" <cc-europe AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [CC-Europe] Action wanted: DOs and DON'Ts for our talks with GESAC
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 18:57:53 +0200

Hi all,

it looks like in the first half of July we (CC HQ + Board + Europe RCs) will have a meeting with the international association of collecting societies, called GESAC, on implications and practical implementation of the recent EU Directive on collective management of copyright, for details see http://ec.europa.eu/internal_market/copyright/management/index_en.htm

As you know there have been several pilot projects of collecting societies integrating CC licenses into their mechanics. Not all of these were withoug criticism. Because of the Directive we now have the situation where something similar to these pilots is more or less mandatory for all collecting societies. The basics and practical sides of this will probably be at the center of our conversation with GESAC.

Leading up to the meeting we'd like to collect comments, ideas and other hints you might have for us. What do you think we should aim for at the talks? What are the NO GOs from your perspective? What kind of outcome would benefit you in your work as a CC Affiliate? What in your impression are the most pressing needs of artists around collective management (not only regarding music)?

Let us know on or off list ...

Best
John & Gwen