cc-europe - Re: [CC-Europe] CC Mixtape

  • From: Christian Villum <villum AT creativecommons.dk>
  • To: Alek Tarkowski <alek AT creativecommons.pl>
  • Cc: cc-europe AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [CC-Europe] CC Mixtape
  • Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2012 15:28:59 +0100

> this is a great explanation that in edited form I would make public. it's an
> interesting thing to show - that when you think about music, try to chose
> something good to listen, you dont exactly look at licenses....

+1

-Christian

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 3:08 PM, Alek Tarkowski <alek AT creativecommons.pl> wrote:
Hey Teresa,

this is a great explanation that in edited form I would make public. it's an interesting thing to show - that when you think about music, try to chose something good to listen, you dont exactly look at licenses....

i listened to some of these songs and my total favourite is the amazing Mistake Mistake song from Serbia. and I came up with a slogan: "CC licensed song that does not sound like it's CC licensed" ;)

best,

Alek

December 7, 2012 12:27
In the final list of 20 tracks, 6 tracks will be ND. I required people to send us tracks without ND, but not everyone was able to do it. As for the NC, only 5 of the tracks in the initial list allowed for commercial uses. Of those, only 2 made the final list.

When choosing the tracks that would make the final list, I did not look at all for the licenses. I behaved not as the legal lead of CC Portugal, but as the DJ I'm not ;-)

What's the message this show to people? I don't know... Maybe that artists themselves are not those copyright fighters we want them to be...

What's the message we want to show to people? That a bunch of people, not related with the music industry (with a few exceptions), can make something good with their works just because they allowed us to use their works by releasing it with CC.

This bunch of people could have passed a better message like "hey, there are tons of music out there licensed for commercial uses" (which wouldn't probably be true) or "hey, there's some music licensed for commercial uses" (which would require from us much more time than that we can commit as volunteers). Unfortunately, we will not be able to say that, but I'm okay with that because - to be honest - that was not our priority; we didn't even talked about it. Not because we don't think that's important to show that there are works out there licensed for commercial uses, but because we all assumed that such search would be too difficult to even think about asking all the teams to do it. As for the ND, we talked about it since the very beginning and we wanted (we still want) a DJ to remixe the compilation and, hopefully, side B will be remixed and we will be able to say "hey, if you had licensed your track to allow derivative works, your track would be part of this nice remixe".

Anyway, no matter what's the extent of the message we pass to the public, for me, the most important aspect of this common project is that 16 European teams were able to work together to make it happen :) And maybe I'm being biased (because I'm doing the actual compilation and therefore I've listen to the tracks a thousand of times) but the project even sounds goooooooooooood :)))))))))))))) What else could we wish for Christmas? ;)

Beijos,
Teresa

--

Teresa Nobre, LL.M. IP (MIPLC)

Intellectual Property Lawyer | Legal Project Lead Creative Commons Portugal
M: (+351) 963491398 | E:
teresaraposonobre AT gmail.com  | Skype: tenobre
www.linkedin.com/in/teresanobre

| The information contained in this communication may be confidential and may be legally privileged and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you have received this communication in error, please re-send this communication to the sender and delete the original message. Thank you. |

| Creative Commons Portugal cannot and does not give legal advice. |

December 7, 2012 11:15
I can second Peter in that I was astonished, while searching for tracks,
about how many of them are ND.

December 7, 2012 10:26
it's a well known fact that among netlabels by-nc-sa is a standard.

but i'm happy to say that the POlish band usta, fronted by Jarek Lipszyc, a prominent copyfighter, is proudly CC BYSA :)

Alek

how comes that all these titles are nc (with the notable exception of Different Feelings by StrangeZero) ... and some even ND ... what message does that send to ppl?

Tks Nena. There's no need. That download was available for free ;)

Guys, I have to run to my Yoga now ;) I'll be back after dinner.

Meanwhile, don't forget that you can check what has been already selected in this new list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApOQ0cuKlKp3dE4tX1VjTDZiSUhmSVVURHg5UXFXeFE#gid=0

B,
Teresa