cc-europe - Re: [CC-Europe] Welcome to 2012!

  • From: Alek Tarkowski <alek AT creativecommons.pl>
  • To: Jonas Öberg <jonas AT creativecommons.org>
  • Cc: cc-europe AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [CC-Europe] Welcome to 2012!
  • Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2012 17:07:18 +0100

Dear all,

The currently discussed meeting plans are all centered around legal
activities / issues. I know that this is much easier than planning a
non-legal meeting, as we have clear, common tasks ahead of us and issues
in need of discussing. I am very much against doing meetings for the
sake of meeting, without a clear agenda. But maybe there is place for at
least one non-legal meeting, that would allow us to plan or start
European-level collaboration on non-legal activities. Something around
working with public content, or GLAM institutions, seems at a quick
glance like something that would make sense and be worthwhile.

And if not a meeting, maybe we could come up with some form of a 10th
anniversary comemorative project that is non-legal in character? We're
planning on organizing in Poland this year some sort of promotional
campaign for openness, we'd be happy to give it an international angle.
maybe this could be some sort of a competition. Or we could reheat an
idea thrown around before by some of us - to translate under CC licenses
public domain works (short forms, poems), and then look for ways of
remixing them with free culture works, graphic material from the public
domain, etc. Something that could culminate with a nice finale on the
10th anniversary.

best,

Alek

--