cc-education - AW: [cc-education] education NC?

cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons

  • From: "Andreas Leiser" <andreas.leiser AT leisermathematics.com>
  • To: "development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons" <cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: AW: [cc-education] education NC?
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 10:07:59 +0100

>>If you distribute copies of CC-NC work as part of getting paid tuition,
>>then would be that similar to a website that distributes copies of
>>a work for free but makes money with advertising?

I am not a lawyer either, but I guess this is a tricky case. Maybe this is
allowed, because cc-nc doesn't mean that you are not allowed to make a
living with something else... The question is, would this be too related
with it? I have no idea.

>>I'd have to read the license again, but I thought CC-NC meant you
>>can't copy, distribute, or create derivatives for commercial gain,
>>which would mean you can't distribute the work for free if you're
>>getting tuition money using it.

Tuition seems to be very tricky, too. There are many ways how tuition
happens:

(1) At some schools teachers could get extra payment *from the school* when
giving extra tuition
(2) At some schools teachers get paid *by the parents* for giving extra
tuition
(3) Sometimes teachers who are not working as teachers are giving extra
tuition (and are either paid by a school or by the parents directly)
(4) Tuition can also be offered not directly connected with a specific
school. It is rather directly offered to the students (for various schools).

Hmmmm, where is the line? Is one of the cases (1)-(4) considered as
commercial use?

If yes, then I will have a problem. Because it is possible that all four
cases apply for me, depending on the situation...

I hope a pro can clear these things a bit.

Andreas