bluesky - RE: i've got a design you guys would be interested in

bluesky AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems

  • From: Bram Cohen <bram AT gawth.com>
  • To: Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems <bluesky AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>, p2p-hackers AT zgp.org
  • Subject: RE: i've got a design you guys would be interested in
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 18:42:56 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 29 Jul 2001, Josh wrote:

> To be honest, I've never heard of ocean store. Thanks, I will look it up
> immediately. I found out about freenet via an attorney. I've been so focused
> on the design that I haven't read up on all the others... yet.. As for the
> presentation, you probably need the shockwave player, the flash player won't

> do it. The link to it is at my site, www.mercuryfs.net/presentations.

I poked around your site, and get the impression you're spinning your main
advantage is downloading content from the local network, thus saving costs
for the ISP.

Others have this idea as well, but I think it's going after the wrong
market. The customer of a p2p application is the end user. End users
really, really don't care about costs to their ISP. They might care a bit
about latency, although that's already toast for napster, gnutella,
freenet, bittorrent, and just about everything else. They also might care
about download time, but the bottleneck is going to be the bandwidth of
their net connection.

There are exceptions to this, such as students at very large universities
and people in very large companies, who have much faster connections to
each other than the net at large, but generally speaking, the main
performance problems of p2p are finding someone else you want, getting
them to offer it for upload, and using your whole net connection. I've
basically chucked working on anything but those three problems for
BitTorrent, and even that's proving to require quite the technical tour de
force to get right.

-Bram Cohen

"Markets can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent"
-- John Maynard Keynes