baslinux - Re: [BL] USB, Ethernet, Wifi, X on Toshiba Portege laptop

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT SDF.ORG>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB, Ethernet, Wifi, X on Toshiba Portege laptop
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 15:12:40 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 17 Mar 2014, James K. Banks wrote:

I have a Toshiba Portege 7020CT laptop (specs available here, such as they
are:
http://www.toshiba-europe.com/computers/products/notebooks/portege7020/product.shtm).

We have a 300MHz model (needs fixing). Have you upped the memory from 64 to 196MB with PC66 or PC100 RAM?

I have BL 3.5 on it, but I haven't gotten it to do everything I want it
to. The main goal I have for it is to take it into the local cafe and be
able to write up drafts of blog posts or word processing type things
without going home, and also send and receive email.

Some extra things that might be nice: reading Wikipedia, checking my online
banking (requires some level of JavaScript, don't know how much),
telnetting into freeshell.org, playing MP3s, writing C programs, flash
drive support, using abiword (or some other WYSIWYG editor?) for drafting
rather than troff/HTML, using sylpheed (or another graphical mail client?)
rather than mutt for email.

Wikipedia works with any browser including links.

Javascript:

Opera 9.63 works if you add libc6 (glibc 2.2.5) from Slackware 8.1. I put a package operalib.tgz at http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/ with the minimal required files for that. You can also add glibc 2.3.6 from slackware 11 (for which I also posted a minimal package). Firefox 2 from DSL linux also works. I posted an old DILLO (no javascript).

Links 2.1 pre 28 has some javascript support.

BL3.5 has telnet. I posted a dbclient package - dbclient is an ssh program. The older ssh for bl3 no longer works at sdf.

mpg123 plays mp3s. So does mplayer, including online mp3s. There is a uclibc mplayer (no dependencies) by David Moberg, and I posted a few for glibc 2.2.5 and 2.3.6 - without video support. You have an i686 (PII).

Write C programs with a text editor (e3pi).
Flash drive - insert USB drivers (kernel 2.4).
Abiword is available at the BL3 website.
Anyone know where to find sylpheed?
Why not just use pine at sdf for mail?

Questions:
I have to use PCMCIA cards for ethernet or wifi. What are good cards for
that? I've already got an Ethernet card (DYNEX DX-E202) coming in the
mail, not sure if it'll work, might be too new.

Wifi - aironet or orinoco based cards, non-cardbus.
Ethernet - anything non-cardbus. Check e-bay. pcnet, 3c589, etc.
Edit /etc/pcmcia/config to match. See the archives for how.

The USB port doesn't seem to work under the default 2.2.16 kernel. I read
that 2.4 kernels have better USB support. So I looked at Sindi's 2.4
kernels, but I don't know which one to pick. I assume I should go with one
of the bigger ones, but which one? (Also, which one does best with Wifi
cards?)

bzimalafb.431 if you want framebuffer support. Insert the framebuffer modules (fbcon etc.) to get 1024x768 text in an actual terminal (more characters on the screen). If no framebuffer, use bzimagla.431.
All the kernels work with wifi cards - once you install the right driver module and edit config.

I haven't gotten X to work, which obviously is required for a lot of my
"nice things" list. I might have more specific questions about it later.

Steven provides a package for Xvesa at 800x600. You can add lines for 1024. Framebuffer X is said to work too (Xfbdev). Test if Xvesa works by just typing Xvesa (to give a grey screen with an X).

But if I could get the SVGALib links2 to work, that would get me Wikipedia
(and maybe, possibly, online banking). Also might help reviewing HTML I
write. The package seems to have been made for an earlier version of BL.
Do I have to "downgrade" to that, or can I get it work in BL 3.5, if so,
how?

Framebuffer disables svgalib, and most laptops I have tried don't work with svgalib anyway. (Since about 200MHz). I posted a glibc 2.2.5 svgalib-only (no X) links2. I also posted svgalib drivers. Instructions at http://keesan.freeshell.org/blfiles.htm

Thanks.

Sindi Keesan