baslinux - Re: [BL] Toshiba S353 lilo problem

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Toshiba S353 lilo problem
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 03:55:27 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Wireless also works perfectly even with my Apple Base Station (unlike in Windows, which says there is no such card, and Puppy Linux, which cannot deal with this setup even with nameserver set manually - complains about network mask).

XP works with wireless after a warm reboot from BL.

Sound is probably Crystal CS4299-A using cs4281.o (which is found at the BL3.5 site, but the 2.2.26 kernels don't work on this laptop - read-only file system or won't mount partitions).

BL35 with 2.2.26 standard kernel boots and works with loadlin (not with lilo - read-only file system) and i810_audio.o sound driver. 2.4.31 kernel needs cs4281.o or some other sound driver for the CS4299-A sound chip. But 2.2 kernels don't support USB-storage, and I would need to wipe the drive, reinstall with DOS then XP, to boot with loadlin and no floppy drive, otherwise to use loadlin I need to replace the CD/DVD drive with the floppy drive (or learn to make DOS boot CDs). My goal is to watch DVDs on here with mplayer, booting without a floppy therefore with lilo,
therefore at 800x600 resolution since that boots with lilo and 2.4 and a higher resolution won't boot that way. Very strange.

In any case, I don't recommend booting this laptop with lilo if you don't need to, and if you do need to, use a 2.4 kernel. And then boot without framebuffer (use X for text programs), or use 800x600 with BL2, or BL35 with 1024.

There is now a Windows SMplayer (frontend for mplayer) which works well except you cannot hear it. i810_audio sound plays softly but audibly in BL35 with aumix set to max. It is inaudible without powered speakers in XP, set to max. Other users of similar laptops mentioned very weak sound.

The laptop is lightweight and has a clear screen.