baslinux - [BL] free phone calls with BL2

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] free phone calls with BL2
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 21:44:24 +0000 (UTC)

Sign up for google voice, wait three months for the invitation.

Fill in the numbers. If you have a landline or cell phone or an ATA VOIP (voice over internet protocol) device hooked up to broadband you can now log into your account (only took me 3 minutes at 233Mhz with Seamonkey 1.1.19 - Opera won't work there) and send/receive SMS messages and make outgoing phone calls from US to US at no charge. Calls from US to elsewhere are not free.

Firefox 2 from DSL would probably also work with GV.

I don't know if this would also work with a softphone. Google apparently rings both you and the number you want to call, so you need something resembling a phone. I had SJphone working once in BL2 on a desktop. It will not call voxalot 6-digit numbers but will call regular phone numbers (via a paid service like justvoip). I think I needed glibc 2.3.2 or later (SW11 is 2.3.6) and X. pjsua is CLI but I don't know how to use it.

Having purchased and returned two defective ATA (analog telephone adaptors) for VOIP, I am using two 300MHz laptop computers instead (with Win2K since nothing else but Mac worked reliably in both directions) and I will test them for free outgoing GV calls. (And Win2K to call 6-digit voxalot numbers?).

I sent free SMS messages to two people who never read email, telling them to read email. VOIP providers charge 7.7 cents per US text message.

Google says it will 'call your phone' which I thought meant dial the other person, but they literally do 'call your phone' and make it ring.

You still need to pay for calls out of the country but there may be websites providing those free too. voipalot charges .003 cents/min in the US plus 4 cents/call. Other providers charge differently ($3/month plus .010 or .015 cents/minute after 300 min/week). Different rates overseas.

Sindi Keesan