baslinux - [BL] fixed DNS nameservers

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] fixed DNS nameservers
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 13:47:36 +0000 (UTC)

You can, instead of using the nameservers provided by an ISP (for dialup) or the IP number of your DSL modem (for broadband) which is supposed to automatically use the ISP's nameserver, use Google's nameservers:

/etc/resolv.conf

nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 4.4.4.4

Thanks for this info to a friend who helped us get two Windows laptops working last night with my non-recommended setup using an Apple Base Station (wireless-only router) plugged into the wired router. This particular Base Station won't let me remove the password, so I cannot turn off nameserver, and it is set to serve 10.0.1.1 as nameserver (its own IP address) which of course does not work, and dhcp therefore does not work unless you enter a fixed nameserver manually (in /etc/resolv for linux - much more convoluted for Windows involving 'Network Connections', and I never did get Puppy Linux working wirelessly with this Apple gadget - editing statip IP led to complaints about netmask not matching - automated systems are harder to fix).

8.8.8.8 is simpler to remember and type than 192.168.0.1 (my DSL modem) or 99.1 (my router) (I think either one worked but not sure)

Before changing to fixed nameserver, we could ping numerical IP addresses but not URLs.

I picked up 9 wireless signals other than ours, all WPA secured and all 54MBps, channel 6 or 11. Ours is 11Mps, channel 8. BL could not use the others even with the key because we don't have drivers for WPA-capable wireless cards. Next project after a 2.6 SATA kernel.

Steven had included default nameservers with BL and I recall they stopped working. Hopefully google's will not.

Sindi Keesan

  • [BL] fixed DNS nameservers, baslinux, 01/11/2011