baslinux - Re: [BL] airport base station wireless wavelan cards

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] airport base station wireless wavelan cards
  • Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 20:14:56 +0000 (UTC)

I 'fixed' the first of two nonworking base stations (wireless but not wired was working) using a 400MHz iMac with network port and crossover cable from LAN port to router WAN port (though a straight cable works with linux on a laptop to access the internet), and Airport Admin Utility. Scan for networks. It found IP numbers 192...... (different for each of two routers, probably assigned via DHCP by the ISP).

After I plugged it in, I was asked to update the firmware and it did so automatically, erasing all prior settings in the process including any password. If this does not happen you will need to do a factory hard reset with paperclip in the little hole on the bottom for up to 30 sec while it is powered on. Or maybe a software hard reset, which will replace the firmware as above, from the Mac (does not need to be online).

An hour of experimenting with settings got this to work plugged into an existing router (192.168.99.1) which is plugged into DSL modem (192.168.0.1) which is the nameserver. Without this device, the existing router sets IP addresses and acts as default gateway (192.168.99.X and .1). With it, 10.0.0.1 and .x. Now works with same DNS server.

DOUBLE click on Configure, then Network - uncheck ALL boxes such as Distribute IP Addresses and Enable DHCP server. Do not set it to work as a bridge or to share anything.

Click on Ethernet and change from DHCP to Manual at the top.
Manual settings:

IP address 10.0.1.1
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Router 10.0.1.1
DNS server 192.168.0.1
(not served by DHCP, which seems to give 10.0.1.1 instead which does not work in this situation).
Leave domain name blank, also Client ID or whatever else is there.

I chose 10.0.1.1, the default DHCP server, to match the other working router. Probably anything else would work - maybe even 192.168.99.X
(X is any number not equal to 0 or 1) as suggested elsewhere.

A public DNS server might work instead of DSL modem IP number. Do NOT use the IP number you assign to the Apple Base Station router.

Ignore any warning that it might disconnect you from the internet.
(It will do so if you had been using it as a DHCP server/router).

Save the settings. (Use 'public' password and don't change it).

A network scan now finds it as IP number 10.0.1.1.

Plug it back into linux with a straight ethernet cable and
udhcpc -q assigns:

IP address 10.0.1.14 (13 was already taken during experiments)
default gw 10.0.1.1

/etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 192.168.0.1

You can put all these numbers into /etc/rc (or rc.d/rc.S) and resolv.conf and not run udhcpc -q (-q for quit after obtaining a lease) unless you switch between wireless and wired. Or make a script to switch rather than DHCP (just change IP and default gw).

The first (working) router is password protected so I cannot easily change the settings as above and it is setting 10.0.1.1 as DNS server which is wrong (see previous posting - edit to 192.168.0.1 or remark out part of the default udhcpc script). Since it works I don't want to fiddle with it.

Do NOT do the above if you want to use this as a wireless-only router, only if you are plugging it into an existing router which is plugged into a DSL modem (which is the nameserver) or a combo DSL-modem/router. It might not connect to the internet. I did not try.

I am now online with this after running udhcpc -q and not changing resolv.conf (no 8 lines of nameserver 10.0.1.1).

There is a 1993 AMD 486 motherboard with PCMCIA slot in here, along with Powermac G3 56K Conexant modem and Lucent Wavlan pcmcia Silver wireless card. The router connects to my 3Mbps DSL internet connection at 2Mbps, and then connects wirelessly to my laptop at 11Mbps. Some people tried to upgrade to 54Mbps wireless - this only overheats things and does not speed up the internet connection. I thought wired seemed faster than wireless.

We removed six screws to get at the modem, which we unplugged at both ends and also unscrewed and removed, to cut down on heat gain. These models are notorious for failing due to overheated capacitors (in 2000). People often drill holes for ventilation or remove the round silver dome cover.

These are the same era as BL2, and the 486 motherboard (which works only with wavlan cards) offers only 40bit WEP (though the card itself does 64bit) which is not secure. You will need an orinoco card for even that - aironet 340 has no encryption at all. But the signal is so weak that unless you add an antenna outsiders won't be able to use it anyway. The antenna goes in a little hole behind a plastic plug, and you will need to leave off the case or drill a hole in it.

Available used from $10, but so are non-Mac wireless routers.
Supposedly higher quality but many failed due to defective caps
in the 12V to 5V internal power supply area. Replace with 35V 105 deg C.

The advantage is that they will also share a dialup connection. And I had four for free. And the weak signal means no encryption needed.

Disadvantage is you need a Mac (or Windows with airport.exe) to reconfigure them. No access via browser like in newer routers.
And there is NO wired output at all so you get only a wireless signal unless you plug into an existing router as described above.

Sindi Keesan