baslinux - [BL] airport base station wireless wavelan cards

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] airport base station wireless wavelan cards
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 21:55:55 +0000 (UTC)

Early Airport Base Stations, the type with power, modem, and WAN ports, round, silver, have Lucent Orinoco Waveland (intersil PRISM2) cards in them which work as orinoco_cs, and probably also wavelan_cs (with 2.2 kernel). They are large cards with a place to plug in an antenna. Weak signal without the antenna.

Someone gave us four of these routers, only one fully working. (One let me communicate with the router itself wirelessly, one with router and our wired router and the DSL modem, and one did not work at all with wireless but the card from it works properly in a laptop, so if you get any dead such base stations the cards are probably not the problem even if the lack of wireless makes it seem so).

Non-cardbus pcmcia cards are getting hard to find. These base stations should be available for little more than cost of postage, at least if dead. About $200 original retail price. I presume they have a built-in modem as well as wired and wireless network (cards? - did not look at the rest of the gadget).

Later base stations have Apple airport rather than pcmcia cards (also reusable but only in a Mac).

I don't know why I can ping base station, wired router, and DSL modem but not get on the internet (at least not with URL - have not tried pinging a DNS number on the internet since that is not very useful). A fourth one works as expected (with DNS server). This one that pings all but internet sets up resolv.conf with 8 identical nameserver 10.0.1.1 lines. Is there perhaps a software fix? Should I use the DSL modem as nameserver instead? I tried some common nameservers that I used for dialup.

Sindi Keesan