baslinux - Re: [BL] ISOs of BL

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ISOs of BL
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 14:56:12 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 18 Nov 2010, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

BL2.1 ISO is here: http://cmiller.sdf-us.org/baslin/baslin2/

I have copied it to http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/

The small BL2 laptop kernel I am using right now does not include loop
(and I don't seem to have compiled that module either) so

I downloaded from my own site loop.o and the package of modules that includes ide-cd, cdrom, and isofs. I insmodded them all (cdrom.o caused a segfault but does not seem to be needed). I mounted the iso file
mount -o loop bl*.iso /mnt (there is some fancier way to do it but this works, however you cannot unmount it later). Inside it was a bl2*.img and a boot.catalog (binary file). I then mounted bl2*.img loop to /hd (you can mount up to 8 things loop with this loop.o module) and it contains a readme.txt, which says to ignore three of the files in there. There is a freedos kernel.sys and command.com, loadlin, zimage, baslinux.gz, and fdauto.bat which says to boot with the last three ro. I will experiment with replacing zimage with my own kernel. I don't know if boot.catalog has to match the file size somehow. Remarking out fdauto.bat should get you into plain DOS (and then maybe you could have a choice of kernels to use loadlin with?). I could also edit it to boot BL from my hard disk directly, or use it with my kernel to boot to ramdisk then manually mount and chroot to /dev/hda7 where my BL2 resides. I have no idea how to use lilo with a boot CD.

This CD may have been made by adding the BL-pertinent files to a regular freedos boot CD (with the three extraneous files).

I can also post BL3.32 but BL3.5 seems more appropriate. Steven, do you know how to create BL3.5 boot CD iso?

It should be possible to simply replace the zimage and baslinux.gz and fdauto.bat.

Hopefully a larger kernel will fit and if not I can delete the three unused files.

Sindi

BL2-2880.img contains
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1637698 Jun 15 2003 baslinux.gz
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 512 Jan 20 2004 bootsec.bin
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 64816 Jul 28 2003 command.com
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 163 Jan 20 2004 fdauto.bat
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 132 Jan 20 2004 fdconfig.sys
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 3512 Jul 28 2003 fdxms.sys
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 45908 Sep 24 2003 kernel.sys
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 32225 Sep 2 2002 loadlin.exe
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 640 Jan 20 2004 readme.txt
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 18183 Dec 11 1995 tdsk.exe
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 512425 Jan 24 2003 zimage

readme.txt:

This is BasicLinux 2.1 booting from a 2.88 MB Floppy Disk.
Freedos is used for bootstrapping the Linux System.

This image can also be used to make bootable CD-Roms.
Search the Internet for for "Eltorito" and "Bootable CD" for more information.

BasicLinux: http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/opsys/linux/baslinux
FreeDos: http://www.freedos.org

BasicLinux and FreeDos are Licensed under the terms of the GPL. For
information on the GPL please refer to http://www.gnu.org.

Notes on this Image:
- right now, fdxms.sys and tdsk.exe are not used.
- bootsec.bin is not used at the moment (just a copy of the actual freedos
boot sector)