baslinux - [BL] ES1868 plays mp3s half speed, was Re: WEP and orinoco

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] ES1868 plays mp3s half speed, was Re: WEP and orinoco
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 21:56:46 +0000 (UTC)

On my Compaq Armada 4120 120MHz 256 color, which has nice sound and speakers and would make a good internet radio.....

Nice speakers, headphone and line out jacks.

Very portable and lightweight without the base station, which contains CD-ROM or floppy drive and midi port, and the battery is the handle so can be removed. Take it to the library (if they have ethernet ports - airo 340 did not work in it) and listen with headphones. The previous owner set it up with CF-IDE drive. I added BL3 and a 3c589_cs pcmcia network card.

Goes online easily via D-Link wireless bridge, but if I try to play an mp3 even offline with mplayer (crashes online, works offline), mpg123 or amp (both in mp3.tgz of Slackware 8) it plays half-speed. Dirge.

The sound chip is ES1868, with sb emulation. Someone else reported this same problem (chip and player) and suggested setting mpg123 to a different sample rate. To double the speed:

mpg123 -d 2 filename.mp3

I tested it on a normal-speed system and it doubled the speed.

I might need to choose a low-bandwidth station but there are still some doing 20Kbit/sec (Australia ABC - mms:).

As of 2009 mpg123 did not play mms: format. Don't know about mpg321 or amp. mplayer can handle it.

I will attempt to compile mplayer for PI/II since mplayer is crashing online (or sometimes offline) on all my PI and PII laptops from 120 to 266MHz complaining about bad usage of CPU and runtime CPU detection. It is supposed to work with MMX through SSE2 pentiums.