baslinux - Re: [BL] WEP and orinoco

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] WEP and orinoco
  • Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 18:06:12 +0000 (UTC)

On my Compaq Armada 4120 120MHz 256 color, which has nice sound and speakers and would make a good internet radio, get dev info failed for the airo 340 (though it did find the card), which works elsewhere. (Opera 8 also segfaults probably because it wants more colors, but links2 works). I will test it with an orinoco card. I tried to use it to set up a D-Link Bridge with 128-bit WEP, which we could place inside the neighbor's house next to his Apple wireless-only router, to pick up the wireless signal and transmit a wired signal next door. The wizard needs more javascript than links2 provides (for site survey).

Online with the Armada via the D-Link wireless bridge DWL-810+ and 128-bit WEP. I downloaded Opera 6.10 4.9MB at 21K/sec average speed but it kept cutting out for 20 sec or more. Opera 6 does not say it segfaulted but won't load: fatal error client killed.

The wireless bridge works fine with BL35 kernel 2.2.26 on this laptop, where airo 340 would not insmod (and it does not do WEP), also via a hub. It only needs to be set up once (via wired ethrenet) and will then work with any ethernet card or port. It will work better with a stable signal.

mplayer crashes on my older computers. While looking for a slackware 8.1 mpg123 I discovered that Japan no longer supports 8.1 (which gives me an empty slackware directory) or older, but Ireland has Slackware 1.02, 2.01 etc. Complete.