baslinux - [BL] Which version of Opera

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Which version of Opera
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 14:00:18 +0000 (UTC)

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/opera-version.txt

Explains that gcc295 and gcc3 versions of opera are compiled from source code written to compile with gcc 2.9.5 and gcc 3, and are for older and newer distributions. Opera 10 was for gcc 3 or 4. Choose depending on which gcc comes with your distro. BL does not come with a gcc but, with 2.4 kernel, will work with gcc 3 and glibc 2.3.6 from Slackware 11. (A newer Slackware will require kernel 2.6). I don't know why a compiled version should not work even with an older distro - someone please experiment and report what went wrong. Unpack in / and run from
/opera*/lib/opera/opera (do not install over your other version).

Also that Opera 10.0 and 10.1 come with or without libqt (bundled or shared). Most likely the qt versions provided need a newer glibc than BL comes with. Opera 10.5 and later no longer use qt (but do require locale setting ability) so I am giving up on 10.0/10.1, which had a font problem even after installing all dependencies and config files for them.
Opera 10.6 is not missing dependencies (but needs locale setting to work).

The text I copied from ruario's blog says that Opera is eliminating support for older versions of distros and to use your older hardware with a newer version of such linuxes as Arch or Tinycore. No mention of Basiclinux, which has no recent version. At least they still support glibc 2.3.2, so Opera 10.6 should work for us with SW11 libraries.

I much prefer Opera to Seamonkey/Firefox, especially now that I can adblock, and will attempt to get the locale/font stuff working with 10.6 but would appreciate Steven's help. Also maybe for flash 9 if possible.
Opera mail works where Seamonkey's does not (with at&t or fastmail).

Sindi Keesan

  • [BL] Which version of Opera, baslinux, 08/16/2010