baslinux - Re: [BL] laptop CS423X sound

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] laptop CS423X sound
  • Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 04:18:58 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 24 Jun 2010, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

IBM Thinkpads 560X (266MHz), 600E (400MHz), 770E (266MHz) have CS4237B, and other laptops of this era also have CS4232 36 37 38.

Sound works perfectly (and sounds nice on the 770E) in Win95.

These ISA chips require that you supply parameters.
Online instructions suggest dma=0 dma2=1, which appears to work but no sound and DRQ/IRQ conflict. (I think it works with ISA desktop cards).

I tried sbpro emulation - soundcore sound sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1
and this works except timidity sounds very bad and mplayer gives errors. sox 'play' and mpg123 work.
playmidi also works with sbpro and I was able to listen to midis from the web, and a few streaming mp3 files with mpg123 (see my posted scripts)

I then tried dma=1 no dma1 with cs4232 and it works, then I added dma2=5 (2 also works, did not try 3 or 4) and it also works. Apparently dma 0 is taken already, though /proc/ioports lists only dma 1 and 3 for Crystal (tho I used 1 and 5).

insmod soundcore
(for 2.2 kernel also insmod soundlow)
insmod sound
insmod ad1848
insmod uart401
insmod opl3 io=0x388 (needed only for FM synthesis which I did not test)
insmod cs4232 io=0x530 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=5
(optionally also mpuio=0x330 mpuirq=9 if your laptop has a midi port)

dma2=0 also worked for me just now.

Adding these last two may have made mplayer and timidity louder. (???)
They were pretty faint before. timidity -N 300 to make it 3 times louder,
or mplayer press forward slash a few times.

I had mistyped 540 instead of 530 - corrected it here.
(Typical io for microsoft sound system).

This chip never works in Puppy Linux. I will attempt to specify
dma in some file (wonder which one).

Works in Puppy Linux if you do NOT select cs423x in the first menu but
choose 'legacy' and then uncheck all but cs4232 and let it find parameters. I have no idea what file it put this information into.

Lots of helpful ideas from Puppy. There is an Opera adblock around.
Also Opera 10.5 and later dropped qt so maybe we can get it to work with BL2. (If it can use SW11 or older glibc). xftConfig needs to be fixed
so that Opera 9 will use the right fonts.

opl3sa2 has never worked for me.
Next challenge. Found in 166-200MHz laptops. Not one of the legacy cards listed in Puppy, I don't think. Works in Win95/98, of course.

Sindi Keesan

  • Re: [BL] laptop CS423X sound, baslinux, 08/15/2010