baslinux - Re: [BL] Need help with BL as x-terminal ...

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Need help with BL as x-terminal ...
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 15:06:11 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 16 May 2010, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

My (glibc) xhost is an 8K file in xbin.tgz of Slackware 7.1.
I found it for BL3 also in slack 4 xbin.tgz. Thank You.

Did you see a grey screen with an X when you typed startx?
Yes, i did. But I got a lot of errors starting startxt, because
it started Xvesa, and X is configured for my normal Xsvga.
I presume xhost worked for you instead.

Can you use XF86_SVGA instead of Xvesa in startx?
exec XF86_SVGA -ac

For Xvesa in BL2 I think I just typed
Xvesa -screen 800x600x16 -ac (no exec - is that needed?).

You need the IP number of your local computer, not at freeshell.
Whatever DHCP (your router) assigned, or what you assigned manually.
Sorry, but that is not really correct.
When you start xterm on SDF it tries to connect to your computer.
Local IPs are not transfered over the internet.
So you have to give DISPLAY the IP of your router.
But the poor router does not know what to do with it. So it swallows it.
That explains why nothing appeared.

You have to tell the router what to do with it. This is a bit different
on the routers. Its called portforwarding. You have to open the inport
6000 (for display 0), outport also 6000 and destination your local IP
(with ifconfig).

You export the display to your router's internet IP (WAN not LAN IP)
and tell your router where to send display? How exactly do you do this?

You can find out your internet IP in your router or using
http://bronto.freeshell.org/myip.cgi.
I get a new internetadress daily. So i did mslookup [myip] and got my
hostname by the provider. I'm on the way to set up my DIPLAY now
automticly by logging in SDF.
Textaplications to SDF are much faster then telnet. I can use mc and
mcedit. That is a big step further!

I don't understand. Are you using MC in X? I can use it without X via ssh (dbclient). It takes a few seconds to fill the screen, over dialup.

I did not find Keesans directory. So I downloaded LINKS-GUI myself.
It works realy very slow. After that I found a big file in my dir,
called links-guy.core. What is that?

On your local computer?

http://keesan.freeshell.org/tmp/bin/ also has dillo, which displayed
one word instead of one character at a time. How does one install browsers which consist of more than just the executable to just a user directory? (Or /tmp).

Yesterday I got fishtank running somehow and could not stop it :)
Thank you for all your god ideas!

Please continue helping the rest of us to accomplish what you did.
Can you get x-terminal working with BL at cjb.net?
They have all the linux/BSD graphical browsers as packages.
installhome *

Even dialup X-terminal did not work for me there.

Werner