baslinux - Re: [BL] Need help with BL as x-terminal ...

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Need help with BL as x-terminal ...
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 01:53:24 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 10 May 2010, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

I followed your doing with great interest.
Everything that extends my small computer is interesting.
I have broadband and a router.
First problem: I did not find xhost, not on my mashine or on the slack
mirror. So I used startxt.

My (glibc) xhost is an 8K file in xbin.tgz of Slackware 7.1. I used BL2.

Use Slackware 4.0 for BL3. zless MANIFEST.gz if it is not in xbin.tgz

Did you see a grey screen with an X when you typed startx?

To get my IP i made a small script on bronto.freeshell.org/myip.cgi ,
exported the IP on my SDF console to DIPLAY and typed xterm.

You need the IP number of your local computer, not at freeshell.
Whatever DHCP (your router) assigned, or what you assigned manually.
From a local terminal, ifconfig, look under eth0 for inet addr

Nothing happend. After a while xterm said, it could not open the
display.

This happened to me via broadband even with the correct local IP number to export the DISPLAY to.

Now I'm shure. My router has no X :)
Is there a way to get this work in my local network?

Ssh to another computer on your local network and export DISPLAY to the
IP number of the computer where you typed startxt. Then type

rxvt &
jwm &

Thanks

Werner