baslinux - Re: [BL] Need help with BL as x-terminal via dialup Re: free shell account with mutt and text browsers

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Need help with BL as x-terminal via dialup Re: free shell account with mutt and text browsers
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 15:30:47 +0000 (UTC)

Do you want me to test from BL or will a newer version of Ubuntu work?

-- Zarek Jenkinson

Test with both, to determine if the crashing problem is related to BL.

Sindi

Using Puppy Linux 2.4.31 and xhost, Xvesa with 24-bit color, I find that both links and dillo act the same way as with BL - links2 draws text one letter at a time, dillo is faster but crashes at the slashdot link with a memory fault and color is not #RRGGBB format.

cjb does not work with Puppy or BL. rxvt can't open display. Same display that works with sdf. Anyone else want to try cjb? They have a nice package system that installs all the dependencies (installhome links also got libjpeg, libtiff, libXaw....).

visualserver now has both mutt and pine. Root has been really helpful, and besides installing them (and fonts) sent me instructions how to set pine to use their mail directory. Lynx downloaded there for me five times as fast as at cjb. SDF is now super fast. 1M/sec downloads, instant access with pine to my 4000 piled-up mails. You do need to pay (once) to use more than the basics. visualserver is linux and the others BSD. cjb is set up for installing your own packages . visualserver offers 1GB space even in free accounts.

These are all great bargains.