baslinux - [BL] libFB and fbjpeg tiny jpeg viewer/w3m and links2 fb mode

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] libFB and fbjpeg tiny jpeg viewer/w3m and links2 fb mode
  • Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 05:32:46 +0000 (UTC)

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/FB-0.2.5-glibc225.tgz
10K package

Contains libFB.so.* (18K stripped) and fbjpeg, a very small (5K stripped)
viewer of jpegs that uses framebuffer mode. It loaded an image
in about 1 sec, which xv or zgv loaded (at higher res) in 2 seconds.

Like xfbdev I think you only get the resolution that you booted with
(or loaded with matroxfb or rivafb). zgv gives more choice.
zgv uses 5.5M or 4M (1280 and 1024 res) and fbjpeg 2MB (1024).

fbjpeg should be useful on low-RAM computers especially ones without svgalib or xvesa such as old neomagic laptops. Maybe as external viewer for a non-graphical browser such as links1.

I plan to add it to disk two of my 2-floppy BL3 framebuffer version.

The library must be in /usr/lib (not /usr/local/lib though I tried to compile it that way) and it needs /usr/lib/kbd/consolefonts/ (kbd package) to compile and maybe to use. Or at least the font I specified in Makefile, I think it was iso01.f16.gz.

I compiled the package for use in compiling versions of links2 and w3m and netsurf that will work in fb mode (rather than x or svgalib). w3m is
supposed to display inline images with gdkpixbuf (gtk1) or fb, while netsurf needs either gtk2 or fb. I am hoping for two more non-X graphical browsers. I found a screen shot of w3m graphical run under X.
I was able to compile 0.5.2 --without-unicode. It is confusing to use
and complains that all the fastmail.fm cookies have the wrong number of dots so will not accept any of them. It accepts cookies from other sites
which appear to be persistent (but will not redirect at gmail - cannot
find the page).

Sindi Keesan