baslinux - Re: [BL] problems installing Opera 9.63, 9.64

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] problems installing Opera 9.63, 9.64
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 01:34:32 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 29 Sep 2009, Sindi wrote:

Managed to download Opera 9.64 and then 9.63. Install.sh for each put the Opera binary in the wrong place for both versions. Didn't get a good install for either.

You don't need to install. If you already did, you can delete any directories with opera in their name (/usr/share/opera, etc.).
rm -r opera*

Unpack opera to / (tar -zxvf opera*.tar.gz) To run opera, cd /opera* (fill in the correct version name), then type opera, which is a wrapper script that tells opera where to find things (including java and adobe pdf reader, which we don't have) and runs the actual binary /opera*/usr/lib/opera*/9*, about 15MB.

less /opera*/opera lets you read the script.

Opera might boot faster with a shorter wrapper script - anyone want to try fixing it?

Installation would copy /opera*/usr to /usr. The wrapper script probably gets put some place on the path. I don't have it installed.

This way you can try several versions from their own directories.
While they are running, type 'top' in another terminal to compare memory usage. I found 8.54 used least, then 9.2*, then 9.5 and 9.6.

Have you also tried lynx2 in graphical mode? It is faster, but does not handle a lot of javascript. Steven's version for X (28) is the last javascript version before they dropped support for it.