baslinux - [BL] Toshiba Satellite Pro 4200 cannot find /dev/hdc

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Toshiba Satellite Pro 4200 cannot find /dev/hdc
  • Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 03:20:42 +0000 (UTC)

A nice 250Mhz laptop with 320MB (!) RAM and 12GB hard disk.
BL2 dmesg finds /dev/hdc but refuses to mount it. Not a valid block device. ??? The CD is in the drive, which is pushed in firmly. DOS and XP find the disk in the drive. (I will try a different kernel).

S3 onboard video works with Xfbdev but not Xvesa or SVGA X server. (Did not try S3 server). Stretch the video in BIOS setup or it only fills the middle half of the screen. (ESC F1 for SETUP). Then text looks bad so use framebuffer for text too (vga=791 1024 looks much better than vga=788 800 res).

I installed DSL linux to another partition and told it to use lilo (install to active partition) and can now boot it with loadlin (ignore the initrd file and use loadlin linux24 root=/dev/hda3 rw vga=791). The kernel was on the boot floppy. I cannot find the kernel for Puppy Linux on boot floppy and I cannot access the CD with BL2 (see above).

To dual-boot with XP and DOS (so as to get to loadlin), sys c: before installing XP and tell it to install in the existing filesystem.

Sindi Keesan