baslinux - Re: [BL] HD boot = 4x greater ram usage?

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] HD boot = 4x greater ram usage?
  • Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 21:31:55 +0000

> > /($) free
> > total used free shared buffers
> > Mem: 31088 21456 9632 664 17556
> > Swap: 0 0 0
> > Total: 31088 21456 9632
>
> Most of the 21456 is currently being used for buffers.

just googled to learn what buffer memory is ... is it the case that BL3 will release buffer memory as it is needed for other uses?  so that as a practical matter, BL3 really has more than 9632K of memory for applications etc?

> > except that when I start from DOS using HD.BAT,
>
> Is HD.BAT a typographical error? The DOS version
> usually runs from BOOT.BAT.

not a typo, but i didn't explain too well.  i get the above (21456 used, 9632 free, 17556 buffers) when I boot into dos and then run HD.BAT to boot BL3 from the ext2 partition where it is installed.

when i boot into DOS and run BOOT.BAT to boot BL3 from the /baslin folder on my DOS partition, I get:  used 4492, free 26596, buffers 2052.

Get free photo software from Windows Live Click here.