baslinux - Re: [BL] Firefox

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Firefox
  • Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 02:47:12 +0000 (UTC)

Sindi writes

So does Slackware 11. I downloaded the SuSE rpm for Skipstone and used
rpm2targz to convert to a tar.gz and then renamed to tgz and installpkg
and when I tried to run skipstone it was looking in /opt/ for mozilla and
its libraries so I typed export on two lines pointing it at the firefox
location (based on what I found in /usr/local/bin/skipstone script) and
then it still could not find a library libglitz.so.1 which is apparently
not needed by Firefox 1.5.

I don't have my BL machine up and running ATM but that libglitz.so.1 looks
familiar. It might be one of the libs that is actually included in the Firefox
package. Really, I know not a thing about skipstone.

It is one of the two libraries that is missing from the Firefox package but required by skipstone. Everything needed by Firefox was already present in Slackware 11.

Do we need the full Mozilla or a later firefox to get these libraries?

At a guess, Id say all the libs needed are in SW9.0 or the package that

I doubt Slackware 9 has late enough libraries for this precompiled Firefox. Steven, which Slackware did you get the libraries from?

Steven has described. Whats really needed is to organise things so
Firefox can be installed in much the same way that one does with Opera,
using the pkg command. Having to use all these complicated proceedures
of yours, sounds very confusing and demoralising.
I don't pkg Opera either.
Copy it to /
tar -zxvf opera*
cd opera*
opera

This runs a wrapper script which finds opera and the relevant libraries in the opera* directory.

I was able to run Firefox the same way, but in Slackware 11 since I don't have recent enough libraries in BL2.1

Mount /dev/hda12 /hd (where I keep Slackware 11)
Copy the Firefox package to /hd
chroot /hd /bin/sh -login (switch to running Slackware 11).

Then
tar -zxvf firefox*
This produces a directory with a wrapper script in it which refers to run-mozilla.sh (this got me nowhere) but I could
cd /firefox*
startx
./firefox
This loaded firefox.

There is also a firefox-bin, but if you try to run that it cannot find shared libraries, which it looks for in /usr/local/lib.

The wrapper script 'firefox' tells it to look in /usr/local/lib for libraries but since you have not copies them there, it looks in the directory where the wrapper script is instead.

In the case of skipstone, I did an installpkg then typed skipstone and discovered that the script (/usr/local/bin/skipstone) was looking in the wrong places for mozilla (opt - that is where rpm-type packages put things) and so I typed a couple of lines based on the lines in /usr/local/bin/skipstone (the script) telling it where to look instead (since we don't have opt in Slackware), at which point it could not find libglitz, as confirmed by ldd skipstone-bin.

You can instead unpackage skipstone the same way, in /, then
cd usr/local/bin to the skipstone wrapper script, type
./skipstone to run it, at which point it expects an RPM type system and says:

"Please set your MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME and LD_LIBRARY_PATH manually as I could not find them."

So I looked at the wrapper script /firefox/usr/local/bin/firefox and saw
a long list of possibilities depending where a certain library was found (it was not found in any of them) ending with:

export MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME=/opt/mozilla/lib
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/opt/mozilla

followed by the error message telling me to set things manually.

I typed out these lines changing /opt/mozilla to /firefox/
to tell firefox the location of mozilla (firefox) and its libraries.
I could probably add these two lines to /etc/profile and then run skipstone from the binary directly (if I had libglitz and libxpcom).
I don't know why they did not include this location in the wrapper).

I first tried rpm -i skipstone* in an attempt to install the package but that did not work, just gave me a very long list of dependencies instead.

Firefox found everything it needed (thanks to Steven locating a version that works with Slackware 11 gtk1). It is just skipstone that is missing things. Is skipstone worth the bother of making the Slackware 12 libglitz and libxpcom libraries work in Slackware 11 (or BL2)?