baslinux - Re: [BL] Firefox

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Firefox
  • Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 13:01:26 +1200

Message from Steven
===================
Ian wrote:

> The thing that stopped me in my tracks when I had
> a look at installing that Firefox version that
> Steven recommended was that when I extracted the
> files, I found that there was no recognisable Linux
> directory structure in it ( no bin or sbin or usr etc).
> There was also no install.sh.

The Firefox 1.5 package is like a DOS package --
you unzip it to its own directory and run it from
there. I like this way of doing things. Every
application sits in its own directory with all
its bits and pieces. To delete an application
you simply delete its directory.

I did the following with the Firefox 1.5 package:
(1) created a directory: /usr/local/bin/firefox
(2) unpacked the package in that directory
(3) executed /usr/local/bin/firefox/firefox
I don't think the name of the directory matters;
you can probably unpack Firefox where you want.