baslinux - [BL] K-Meleon and WINE

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] K-Meleon and WINE
  • Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 01:12:05 +0000 (UTC)

Would it be harder to set up WINE and K-Meleon (there are versions designed to work that way) than to collect all the dependencies of Firefox 3 for BL?

I experimented in Windows, and Firefox 3 used 42MB RAM and K-Meleon 28MB, and the latter let you NOT download images, videos, music, popups, ads, flash content, or even if you did download images the text all came first, and it was much faster than any Firefox. About the same as links and lynx for the text parts. You can also 'block colors' - much more readable (Opera does the same but not the ad blocking). Windows Opera was also 28MB. Linux Opera (9.63 in both cases) 39MB. Less efficient?
Same page (llbean without graphics).

I would not attempt this on a laptop with 32MB memory (where Opera 8.54 is quite usable in far less RAM than 9.63) but the laptop is used with broadband so download speed is not important, just memory usage. K-Meleon on desktop would be for dialup internet. We just found 6 1.2GHz HPs in a dumpster all fixable with 40-60GB drives and some 512MB DIMMs.

K-Meleon uses the Gecko rendering engine and manages to fool AOL mail. You can right click to load any image, as in Opera. QT3 based (QT2 older versions). I did not find it compiled for linux without WINE.

Is there a way to minimize WINE to use only with one program (just load a few libraries or something?). I have not used it.

I could just run 2K on a laptop but I am tired of antivirus programs and the 10 min boot. How fast does WINE come up?

Sindi Keesan

  • [BL] K-Meleon and WINE, baslinux, 03/17/2009