baslinux - Re: [BL] NTFS

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] NTFS
  • Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 14:50:17 +0000 (UTC)

CDlinux 0.9.2 mini (console only) rescue CD with busybox 1.13 and a recent kernel includes fuse module and ntfs-3g program needed to write to NTFS.

This is a good companion to BL.

CDLinux version 4 (2003-2005) is based on Slackware 8.1 and can be installed to CD, flash drive, or HD. Can run in ramdisk or loop.

Versions 6 and 9 are Slackware 11 based. You can add Slackware packages. Make your own modules and packages following instructions.

17MB download for the console version, 64 standard GUI, 200MB full (contains things other than rescue tools). Ought to be usable with Firefox 1.5 in a separate partition from BL (chroot there if you need Firefox). Just add any missing dependencies. Slackware 11 takes up over 1GB.

Designed originally as a 1-floppy (2.88MB) rescue tool with ftp and ssh servers, and they added to the latest version NTFS write support, cabextract, and a password clearing tool. BL was not designed for this and should not be forced to do everything.

Created by someone Chinese to work in Chinese (both varieties) and instructions are also in Russian at the website.

CD console version boots even faster than BL. Choose auto-mount and it finds the XP hard drive and mounts /media/sda1 (SATA?). Familiar feel.

I liked slackware-based, console, and small size of CDlinux.

Someone recommended Trinity Rescue Kit (100MB, Mandriva) which I have not tried, and ntfs-3g support is included in Inside Security Rescue Toolkit (2.6.18 kernel based on Knoppix, 60MB) and System Rescue CD (Gentoo, 2.6.27.19, 246MB).

kernel 2.6.15 or later is needed for NTFS writing, I think. Would BL4 have the latest 2.6 kernel?