baslinux - Re: [BL] pdf viewer for BL 3.50 ...?

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] pdf viewer for BL 3.50 ...?
  • Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 21:22:29 +0000 (UTC)

Sindi, i appreciate the detail of your response, but it got
into stuff that's more complicated than what i want to do.
On this machine, i'm trying to keep BL3 relatively "pure"
while still adding some addons.

How much memory does your computer have? Mine took about 13MB to display a pdf file with xdpf and Xvesa (and rxvt and icewm). Most of this is xpdf itself.

When I used pdftoppm, it took 99.8% of cpu to do the conversion and was still quite slow on my 1.4GHz computer, so this is not a good solution on an old computer.

svp (frontend to ghostscript) displayed quickly using about 3MB, at 1280 res. But you would need to install ghostscript - or parts of it. The latest ghostscript requires just one 2-3MB binary but the older ones require additional files. Also svgalib.

-monz