baslinux - Re: [BL] pdf viewer for BL 3.50 ...?

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] pdf viewer for BL 3.50 ...?
  • Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 18:58:10 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 4 Sep 2008, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Hi all,

I tried to install xpdf.tgz from Slackware 8,
but it said i was missing some dependencies.
Before i went any further, i decided to ask here.

How can i view pdf files in BL 3.50?

This is for my Toshiba T4800CT, which has very
limited ability to do graphics. I am able to
startx and get the desktop, but with limited colors
and low resolution. The BIOS on this laptop will
only give a maximum of 256 colors.

So you are probably using the SVGA X server.

-monz

xpdf package comes with pdfimages and pdftotext, which will let you extract the text and images from a pdf file (and view them with other programs such as pico and xli). Also pdftoppm, which converts each page into a large ppm image file. Pdftoppm requires some basic fonts to convert text to image.

/usr/local/etc/xpdfrc from xpdf package specifies which fonts are used. You can edit it to point at where you keep your fonts if it is not ghostscript. I edited mine to require only .pfb and .pfm fonts starting in n, s or d (the smallest ones to save space and memory). See:

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/xpdfrc

xpdfrc by default looks in /usr/local/share/ghostscript/fonts. You can copy the required fonts to that location from the Abiword fonts in Steven's package (or symlink to the Abiword fonts directory).

ghostscript itself can display pdf files. Ghostview is a front end to it. I posted bmv and svp frontends, which require svgalib (libvga) and glibc.

The 1999 xpdf programs don't display pdf 1.5 and later. I compiled and posted ghostscript 8.54 and 8.6 which do (glibc 2.2.5).

If you are short on memory, svgalib uses less than X and is available for Slackware 4.0.