baslinux - Re: [BL] questions: upgrading BusyBox, DropBear, SSH

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] questions: upgrading BusyBox, DropBear, SSH
  • Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 21:44:09 +0300

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 4:43 PM, <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org> wrote:

>>> 6. Lastly: Many of the Linux commands i've learned
>>> from other distros don't work in BL. Specifically,
>>> let's say i want to SSH to one of my BL laptops from
>>> another computer ... how do i find out the hostname
>>> of my BL laptop?
>>

>> I'm talking about the whole URL or DNS (or whatever
>> it actually is called) that i need to put in the SSH
>> command. Other distros have netstat and commands like
>> this, which don't work in BL.

Well, if you are talking about the hostname... Just put the IP of the baslinux
machine to /etc/hosts of the machine you're trying to ssh from. Assuming you
have set up a ssh daemon on baslinux. Which isn't there by default... (I think
you could use Sindi's dropbear, I don't remember if it includes scp, though)
And, by the way, you don't actually need a hostname, just use the ip address
instead, you can get it from ifconfig's output.

>> I typically connect to BL laptops to the internet
>> using whatever unsecured wireless network i can pick up.

You want to connect a BL laptop to an open wireless network, and then access
it
from some other place through the 'net? Or maybe I just got confused by these
two subswquent "to"s.

> Instead of netstat try ifconfig, which works for me using a dialup
> connection (ppp0 section).
>
> Busybox 1.3.2 (compiled by another list member, Karolis, from my
> configuration) includes netstat and ftpget.

Feel free to ignore this paragraph, people :)

This is a misuse of the list, I guess, but, Sindi, I wanted to tell
you once again:
fix your spam filters... As, I guess, you didn't get several
emails I have sent you from both gmail and sdf some time ago.

-snip-
> ftpget -u login -p password sdf.lonestar.org $1 $1
> ftpput -u login -p password sdf.lonestar.org ~keesan $1
>
> Substitute your own login and password, and the URL of your account
> instead of sdf.lonestar.org, and your own user name for keesan. $1 is the
> file name to be transferred. ftpput puts it into your user directory.
>
> or you can use wget with login and password
>
> wget -c ftp://login:password AT sdf.lonestar.org/~keesan/$1
>
> or links (or links2) has a built-in ftp
>
> links ftp://login:password AT ftp.freeshell.org/arpa/g/m/k/keesan
>
> You can then download files from this directory.

Heh, maybe my note might sound pedantic, but quoting is always a good habit
;) I
mean, the filename might contain whitespace, which would cause the line to
break. This is a lot more relevant in scripts, though.

Karolis