baslinux - [BL] questions: upgrading BusyBox, DropBear, SSH

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] questions: upgrading BusyBox, DropBear, SSH
  • Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 13:56:54 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Steven and everyone,

I'm using BL 3.50 "out of the box", except that
i've also installed the addons passwd and ssh
from this page:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/baslinux/add-ons/index.htm

With ssh i'm able to logon to an account i have
on the Linux server at school, but i'm not sure
about how to transfer files.

I struggled with this a couple of months ago and
finally figured out a way to transfer files from
the school account to my computer at home, but
now i don't remember how i did it.

I see that my system has ftpput, but there's no
ftpget or just plain ftp. There is also wget, but
i can't seem to use that to download files from
my school account, but only from webpage links.

Here are my specs:
Linux kernel 2.2.26
BusyBox v.1.01 (2007.03.19-01.:15+0000)
OpenSSH_3.5p1

A few questions:

1. Is there a way to upgrade/update Busybox?
Preferably without having to recompile anything.

2. This webpage:
http://www.geocities.com/megaribi//BasicLinuxAdditions.html

has has FTP and FTPD. Can i install those without
breaking the SSH that i already have working?

3. This page:
http://www.ausreg.com/bl/bl3/

has pureftpd. Same question.

4. This page:
http://johnbeck.org/bl3/

has a version of ssh which seems to include more commands
than the one i already have. Is this what i want? If so,
then how do i replace the old ssh with the new one?

5. Sindy's page has updated versions of BusyBox and
also DropBear, but i'm not totally clear on installing
or using either of them.

6. Lastly: Many of the Linux commands i've learned
from other distros don't work in BL. Specifically,
let's say i want to SSH to one of my BL laptops from
another computer ... how do i find out the hostname
of my BL laptop?

Thanks.

-monz