baslinux - Re: [BL] gateway between two laptops

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] gateway between two laptops
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 05:17:47 +0000 (UTC)

Not yet. I answered Y to IPCHAINS but not to IPTABLES in my vps kernel.
Christof, choose one of my kernels that does everything else that you want
and I can compile it again with IPTABLES support but please do a bit of
research on which of the items in Netfilter section should be Y. Right now
I have Y for IPCHAINS and NAT_NEEDED but not set for CONNTRACK, QUEUE,
IPTABLES, and ARPTABLES. Look in the documentation for kernel compilation
or read up on IPTABLES and how to compile a kernel for it. Slackware 10.1,
2.4.31 kernel, may already have a suitable kernel for you to experiment
with.

Thank you, Sindi,

I would actually prefer to use ipchains instead of iptables and not
to get too close tothe documentation for kernel compilation.

My vps kernel supports ipchains.

Unfortunately your scripts do not yet work on my system. I would like
to know on what kind of system they were running for you:

I had two desktop computers connected via ethernet cable and one of them dialed into the internet. I did not understand Steven's instructions but they worked - both computers could access the internet. Probably I could also access files on the gateway computer but I don't recall.

I could also share an internet connection via a serial nullmodem cable, using the non-gateway computer as a terminal, by editing inittab (uncommenting #s1 line) or running inetd and telnetting. I posted the details a few years ago (also following Steven's instructions). To log in as root I had to modify another file.

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
ipchains -P forward DENY
ipchains -A forward -s 192.168.1.0/24 -j MASQ

I have just posted my script ip-on (you also insmod and ifconfig) and also modifications of this script for belkin, linksys, and netgear (with IP numbers in their range- probably to share a broadband not modem connection)).

I will study ipchains documentation and do some more tests in the
next days.

Does ipchains act as a software firewall?
Please explain what is actually happening.

My earlier posting to BL says:

First computer (client?)
insmod 3c59x, ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1, route add default gw 192.168.1.2

Second computer (the gateway)
insmod 3c59x, ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.2
echo and ipchains as above

Sindi