baslinux - Re: [BL] gateway between two laptops

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] gateway between two laptops
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 03:00:22

On 24 Aug 08 at 23:36, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
<baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org> wrote:

>> Message from Steven
>> ===================
>> Christof wrote:
>>>
>>> Question: would it be possible to use iptables
>>> in BasicLinux or is it designed only for more
>>> recent Slackware installations?
>>
>> You should be able to use iptables with BL3
>> if you use a 2.4 kernel. Sindi probably has
>> a suitable one.
>
>Not yet. I answered Y to IPCHAINS but not to IPTABLES in my vps kernel.
>Christof, choose one of my kernels that does everything else that you want
>and I can compile it again with IPTABLES support but please do a bit of
>research on which of the items in Netfilter section should be Y. Right now
>I have Y for IPCHAINS and NAT_NEEDED but not set for CONNTRACK, QUEUE,
>IPTABLES, and ARPTABLES. Look in the documentation for kernel compilation
>or read up on IPTABLES and how to compile a kernel for it. Slackware 10.1,
>2.4.31 kernel, may already have a suitable kernel for you to experiment
>with.

Thank you, Sindi,

I would actually prefer to use ipchains instead of iptables and not
to get too close tothe documentation for kernel compilation.

Unfortunately your scripts do not yet work on my system. I would like
to know on what kind of system they were running for you:

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
ipchains -P forward DENY
ipchains -A forward -s 192.168.1.0/24 -j MASQ

I will study ipchains documentation and do some more tests in the
next days.

Christof

Ceskobratrska cirkev evangelicka - Betlemska kaple na Zizkove
Prokopova 4/216, 130 00 Praha 3, Czech Republic
Tel. (+420) 222 78 06 73 / 222 78 20 02 / 603 18 87 53
http://www.volny.cz/cce.zizkov