baslinux - Re: [BL] LILO and booting problems

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] LILO and booting problems
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 02:56:09 +0000 (UTC)

Thanks. I wanted to try getting LILO to work
first, since it's supposed to! :) I thought
i had everything set up correctly, and since
it didn't work, i'd like to find out why ...
as a learning experience.

The linux /boot directory has to be in the first 1024 sectors (about 1GB). You can make another /boot directory in the first 1GB:

mount /dev/hda1 /hd
mkdir /hd/boot
edit lilo.conf to change /boot to /hd/boot, copy kernel and boot.b from /boot to /hd/boot
lilo -v.

I learned this by reading the instructions for lilo in a book or online.

You can set lilo.conf to write to a floppy disk (/dev/fd0) instead of the hard disk (/dev/hda) MBR. Please hunt in the BL archives for my recent postings on this (within the last few months).

I should have mentioned that when i do have the
active partition set to /dev/hda6, to boot LILO,
the /etc/lilo.conf "prompt" and "timeout" commands
don't seem to be doing anything. I need to start
with the floppy, but still need to press "CTRL"
during LILO booting to get the "boot:" prompt.

I don't need to do this unless I want a choice of operating systems to boot to.

At the same time, i do want to be able to boot
the Compaq into either Windows or BL without
needing a floppy, so i'm willing to try your
method too. Thanks.

You can set it to boot to DOS (and from DOS to Windows) as an alternate.

Try something like this after you mount /dev/hda1 /hd and copy
kernel and boot.b to /hd/boot/. Change hda7 to hda6, default=BL3, and delete the BL2 part if you want only DOS and BL3.
This is for DOS in the first partition (I forget where yours is).

boot=/dev/fd0 (to boot from floppy disk with lilo)
(Or boot=/dev/hda to boot with lilo from hard disk MBR)
install=/hd/boot/boot.b
default=BL2

other=/dev/hda1
table=/dev/hda
label=DOS
(This lets you boot to DOS and from there to Windows with 'win')

image=/hd/bl2/zimage.p2
label=BL3
root=/dev/hda7
read-write
# vga=791 (uncomment this to use vesafb for more columns)

image=/hd/bl2/bzimavps.431 (my 2.4.31 kernel)
label=BL2
root=/dev/hda9
read-only
#vga=791

When you are booting you can hit Ctrl to get a menu of choices, or just let it boot to the default.

Good luck.