baslinux - Re: [BL] LILO and booting problems

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] LILO and booting problems
  • Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2008 10:41:32 +1200

Message from Steven
===================
monz wrote:

> I can only boot BasicLinux from the floppy,
> and have to keep changing the active status of
> /dev/hda1 and /dev/hda6
> to boot Windows 95 or BasicLinux.

Let's see if I understand it correctly:
You want to dual boot your computer?
Sometimes Windows 95 and sometimes BL3?

The solution I recommend is loadlin.exe.
It boots Linux from DOS. You can also boot
Windows 95 from DOS (by executing win).

Configure your computer to boot to a DOS menu.
Create two (or more options):
(1) win
(2) loadlin zimage root=/dev/hda6 rw

You will need a copy of loadlin.exe (available
in the DOS version of BL3) and probably want
to create a separate directory for zimage,
loadlin.exe and perhaps a boot.bat (to hold
the loadlin line).

If you decide to use this method, I would be
happy to help you with the details.